Saturday, August 05, 2006

How are you doing spiritually? (i.e. What are you reading?)

John Samson wrote a great article that challenges all of us about what we are reading and how it affects our spiritual walk. Find it here:
Reformation Theology: How are you doing spiritually? by Pastor John Samson

He begins with a story that I know I can relate to and probably a good portion of us could if we were honest with ourselves. A man approaches the pastor and admits that his spiritual and devotional life is just not where it should be. My pastor right now touches on this - we need a foundation of prayer and Bible Study for our lives. John takes this even further when he challenged this man by asking "What are you reading right now?" This definitely challenged me as I have a tendency towards science-fiction and fantasy - some of it edifying, other parts just fluff or filler. I enjoy tales such as the "Christ Clone Trilogy" and even "Left Behind". I've read some great Christian fiction (including Pilgrim's Progress and CS Lewis' works). I also tend to read non-Christian fiction.

This post really challenged me to take up more edifying reading. I've started and paused Ray Stedman's Adventuring Through the Bible several times. Not because it's boring - far from it - but just because I'll put it down and not make a point of picking it up again for a while. I think it's time to resume that and get back on track with material that builds me up more than just occupies my time. I don't think there's anything wrong with entertainment, but I'll admit I've had a little too much of it lately for my own good.

So, if you're reading this - what are you reading right now?

In him,

-Peter Schott

No comments: